Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving update

Happy Thanksgiving Yankee fans! Things have been pretty slow so far in the still-young hot stove season. But here is what is going on:

Sabathia is still sitting on the Yanks' 6 year $140 million offer. No need to be alarmed there. I know our offer would make Sabathia the most well paid pitcher in baseball, and some are interpreting his failure to jump on it as an indication that he doesn't want to sign with New York. I find this a rather naive point of view. Sabathia and his agent are simply waiting to hear out other teams and field their offers as well. I realize that nobody is going to outbid the Yankees outright, but Sabathia could be just trying to get a counter offer from the Yanks of a few million more. Still worth it if you ask me. Sabathia is a beast and our rotation goes from mediocre to above-average with his addition.

Teixeira reportedly has a few offers on the table, but nobody knows from who. Most likely Boras trying to get some leverage with the Angels. I would love to see Tex in pinstripes, but my prediction of him resigning with the Halos stands. Tex is their biggest need, so that is where they're gonna throw their money.

Burnett wants 5 years, which is a bit much considering his injury history. Speaking of which, greatn article comparing him with Ben Sheets. I'm coming around to the opinion that Sheets would be a better signing. Both are type A's (assuming Sheets is offered arbitration), both have similar stuff, and both have long injury histories. However, after looking at it closely, Sheets seems to be perhaps slightly less of a risk. And, due to a muscle tear at the end of the season he can be had for less years than Burnett. I'm guessing he would sign for 3 years, maybe with a 4th option year. So do we get Burnett, who's already 31, on a 5 year deal or Sheets, who's 30, on a 3 year deal? Either way is a gamble. Either guy could become the next Amerian Idle (Carl Pavano). Either guy could turn a corner and contribute. I'd rather hedge my bets with Sheets. I wouldnt be upset with Burnett at all, but 5 years is a lot for a guy thats only hit 200 innings 3 times in his 9-year career (one of which was 2008, which became a contract year).

That's pretty much it...I wish I had more to write, because that would mean we somebody was actually signed. Teixeira and Sabathia have both expressed that they'd like deals done before Christmas, so hopefully we'll have something soon.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Burnett's agent supposedly just backed off from the 5 year demands. YAY!

Justin said...

So I hear...still, I'd like to see what Sheets is asking for before I make a decision