Saturday, September 13, 2008

Welcome to Short Porch Baseball

Hello Yankee fans. This is my first post on my second attempt to run a New York Yankees blog. A few things about me: I'm a junior at the University of Vermont, although I am originally from New Jersey. I've been a Yankee fan all of my life (obviously).

I'm going to dive right into things here...Center field!

I think 2008 has shown us that Melky Cabrera is not our long term center fielder. I also don't think anyone is expecting Damon to be the regular center fielder either, although I'm sure he can play it in a pinch. So what then? Trade for a a center fielder? The trade market is weak for centerfielders, as it is for catchers and shortstops. Why? Well, they are some of the toughest positions to play and players who play them well are at an absolute premium. Most of the good players are untouchable. The free agent market is also very bare this year. There is only one person that I can see on that list in pinstripes next year.

Rocco Baldelli has an ugly injury history, but he is healthy now, and if he can remain healthy, he is certainly an upgrade over Melky. It would require a rather low-risk committment from the Yanks, probably a 1 year deal, maybe with a club option with incentives, and not too much money. I say its worth it. Baldelli would prove to be a very serviceable stopgap in center field until either Austin Jackson is ready to take over or we find our permanent center fielder via trade or FA signing.

Thoughts? Would Baldelli be worth the investment, or would we be wasting our time? Is there another option you would prefer? Discuss, and more posts to come.

No comments: